Donald Trump Crypto: Opinions, NFT Trading Cards, and News
- Writer George Hristov
- andEditor Gary Anglebrandt
- March 8, 2023
- •3 Min Read
The Milk Road Promise
We’re committed to helping you get smart about crypto. Some articles feature products from partners who compensate us, but opinions are always our own.
Hate him or love him, Donald Trump is undeniably one of the most influential figures in America.
The blond-haired bad boy is not a fan of crypto. In his eyes, it weakens the US dollar. That, however, did not stop him from launching his own NFT collection in 2022 — a tried-and-true way to stay relevant in case people start forgetting about you.
- Trump has criticized crypto for its volatility and sees it as a threat to the dominance of the US dollar.
- Despite his crypto-skepticism, Trump launched his own NFT collection in December 2022 which sold out in just a few hours.
Donald Trump NFT Trading Cards
Trump’s surprise NFT project launched in December of 2022. The collection is made up of 45,000 collectibles that each feature a photo of the former President. Card holders can also win prizes such as one-on-one meetings with Trump. The release was met with mixed reviews, but the entire collection sold out in under a day.
|Collection Name||Trump Digital Trading Cards|
|Number of NFTs||45,000|
|Floor Price||0.15 ETH|
Check out the OpenSea collection
On December 14th, 2022, Trump took to Truth Social, his social media platform, to tease an upcoming “major announcement”. The next day, the former president revealed that he is launching a line of 45,000 “limited-edition cards”. The cards are NFTs hosted on OpenSea on the Polygon blockchain and feature pro-American art of Trump in various poses.
Reactions to the announcement ranged from enthusiasm to disappointment. While crypto fans always celebrate high-profile endorsement of NFT technology, some of Trump’s supporters questioned the project and expressed disappointment that Trump’s anticipated “major announcement” was not more substantially aligned with his political goals.
Steve Bannon, Trump’s former chief strategist, denounced the project, saying "I can't do this anymore," and that anyone involved in the release "ought to be fired today". The Hodge twins, notable supporters of the former president, tweeted, “Man, when all Patriots are looking for is hope for the future of our country and Trump hypes everybody up with a ‘BIG ANNOUNCEMENT’ then drops a low-quality NFT collection video as the ‘announcement,’ it just pushes people away.”
Despite some reservations from the pro-Trump camp, the NFT collection was an unquestionable success. The cards sold out in a matter of hours and many were re-listed for sale at more than double their original cost of $99.
The NFTs are not only memorabilia, they also enter collectors into a sweepstakes with prizes that include group cocktails with Trump himself, hand-signed memorabilia, golf with Trump and friends, and even a one-on-one meeting with the former president. Those who purchased 45 of the trading card NFTs were guaranteed a ticket to an exclusive gala dinner with Trump.
Donald Trump Comments & Opinions on Crypto
Donald J. Trump served as the 45th President of the United States from 2017 to 2021. As a Republican, he held a pro-business stance and put a strong focus on the US economy. Trump’s presidency was marked by a flurry of scandals and controversies, and he did not comment on crypto extensively. The comments he did have were generally negative, calling crypto a “scam” and expressing concern over what its growth could mean for the US dollar. In 2022, however, Trump launched his own collectible NFT series.
Trump’s stance on crypto was that its unregulated nature posed risks to consumers. He also expressed concerns that the growth of cryptocurrencies could threaten the strength of the US dollar. In 2022, however, despite his reservations, he launched an NFT collection.
Trump did not extensively address cryptocurrency during his time in office, and the few comments he did make were generally negative. He expressed concerns about the potential threat crypto posed to the US dollar and warned that its unregulated nature could hurt investors. Despite his skepticism, however, Trump surprised everyone in December 2022 when he announced the release of his own NFT line of collector’s cards.
Below is a timeline of the former President’s public comments on crypto:
- In July 2019, Trump took to Twitter to express his disapproval of Bitcoin and crypto as a whole. In his tweet, he called the value of crypto “highly volatile and based on thin air”. Trump then praised the US dollar, which, in contrast to crypto, he said was “stronger than ever, both dependable and reliable”.
- In June 2021, Trump took another shot at crypto during an interview with Fox Business. “Bitcoin just seems like a scam," Trump said. "I don't like it because it's another currency competing against the dollar. I want the dollar to be the currency of the world; that's what I've always said.”
- Trump returned to Fox Business in December 2021 to comment on the NFT collection released by his wife, Melania. “She’s gonna do great. She’s got a great imagination,” he said. When asked about his position on cryptocurrency as a whole, Trump reiterated his previous comments, calling crypto a “very dangerous thing.” Trump also said, “I never loved it because I like to have the dollar. I was never a big fan, but it’s building up bigger and bigger and nobody’s doing anything about it.”
- In January 2022, the Trump family threatened “legal action” against the cryptocurrency project “TrumpCoin”. According to a since-deleted tweet from Eric Trump, the family was never involved in the project even though it bore the family’s name. The creators of the TrumpCoin cryptocurrency responded to the Trumps by pointing out that the cryptocurrency was created before Donald Trump won the Republican presidential nomination in 2016. TrumpCoin has since been renamed to “FreedomCoin”.
- In a surprise announcement on December 15th, 2022, Trump unveiled his own line of digital trading card NFTs. The Trump Digital Trading cards are a collection of 45,000 NFT collectibles featuring the former president that come with prizes such as golf matches and even exclusive one-on-one meetings with Trump. Despite mixed reviews, the collection sold out in just a few hours.
Donald Trump Crypto Overview
|Crypto Opinion||👎 “Bitcoin just seems like a scam"|
|Crypto Projects||Released his own line of NFT trading cards|
|Profession||Owner of the Trump Organization|
|Net Worth||$3.2 billion|
|Country of Residence||United States|
|Companies Owned||Trump Organization|
- Rose to prominence as a business mogul and public figure during the 1980s, amassing billions of dollars in net worth along the way
- Served as the 45th president of the United States
- Remains one of the most influential public figures in American life today
Donald Trump News
George is a tech writer interested in web3 startups and communities. In the dynamic world of crypto, he stays plugged in to the day-to-day headlines, deep dives, and industry commentary.
Gary Anglebrandt is a US-based editor, copywriter, and communications consultant with a background in business and international news. Beyond the US, he has worked from Seoul and Beijing, and continues to work with professionals based around the globe.
Get smarter about crypto
Join 250,000+ subscribers and get our 5 min daily newsletter on what matters in crypto.